Monday, July 30, 2012

Cover Crazy - Seraphina

Cover Crazy is a weekly meme hosted by The Book Worms on Mondays. The idea is to showcase a beautiful book cover each week.

This week, I'm crazy about...
Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman

It's no secret that I am a sucker for a great illustrated cover, but I especially love the illustration style on the cover of Rachel Hartman's new release, Seraphina. I haven't yet read Seraphina but I love this cover. There are so many aspects of this cover that draw me in and complement each other. The cover for Seraphina stands out and seems particularly unique among the ubiquitous girl-in-pretty-dress covers (several of which I have featured on past Cover Crazy posts, I admit). The design team for this book definitely knew how to reel in readers like me.



The Font
I love this font. I can't resist script-y fonts like this, and this one is particularly nice. It is easy to read but is stylized and specialized to get a point across. I especially like the style of the E and the way the S loops around the spire of the church, mirroring the action of the dragon's tail. Finally, the gold is eye-catching but it complements the illustration and the red border rather than distracting from them.

The Town
I am so happy the illustrator for this cover (whom I unfortunately do not know the name of) chose to include the town rather than just the castle in the back. From the gothic-style church to the clock tower to even the regular town buildings, this is an interesting place. I wish I could peek around some of the hidden corners or stroll down the cobblestone road. I am excited to visit this town in the pages of the book.

The Dragon
So, there's a dragon on the cover. Need I say more? I'll say more anyway. I love the way that this dragon is illustrated: how its wings catch the air, how you can see its scales and ridges, how its tail is wrapped around the church's spire. It doesn't seem immediately malevolent, but it certainly is up to something important. I want to find out what is going on, and why there is a dragon in this town.

The Quote
There really is no better person to quote for a dragon book than Christopher Paolini. This quote is certainly going to get many reluctant readers to pick this up. Excellent quote choice and placement.

What do you think of this cover? 
Do you agree or disagree with my analysis?


What are you crazy about this week?
Leave your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...